Books & Reports:
- Choi, Jieun; Dutz, Mark and Usman, Zainab. (2020) The Future of Work in Africa : Harnessing the Potential of Digital Technologies for All. Washington, DC: World Bank.
- Usman, Zainab and David G. Landry (2021) “Economic Diversification in Africa: How and Why it Matters“. Washington D.C.: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Working Paper
- Usman, Zainab (2020) “The Successes and Failures of Economic Reform in Nigeria’s Post-Military Political Settlement“. African Affairs.Volume 119 (474), January 2020
- Usman, Zainab; El-Taraboulsi, Sherine; Hawaja, Khadija (2020) “Gender Norms and Female Participation in Radicalization in Northern Nigeria”, In: Mustapha, Abdul Raufu; Meagher, Kate, (ed.) Overcoming Boko Haram: Faith, Society and Islamic Radicalization in Northern Nigeria. London: James Currey
- Usman, Zainab and Amegroud, Tayeb. (2019) “Lessons from Power Sector Reforms : The Case of Morocco“. Policy Research working paper, no. WPS 8969. Washington D.C.: World Bank Group.
- Usman, Zainab (2018) “The ‘Resource Curse’ and Constraints to Reforming Nigeria’s Oil Sector“, in: Levan, Carl and Ukata, Patrick (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Nigerian Politics. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Lee, Alan, David and Usman, Zainab (2018) “Taking Stock of the Political Economy of Power Sector Reforms in Developing Countries: a Literature Review“, Policy Research Working Paper, no. WPS 8518, Washington D.C.: World Bank Group
- Owen, Olly and Usman, Zainab (2015) “Briefing: Why Goodluck Jonathan Lost the Nigerian Presidential Election of 2015“, African Affairs, 114(456):455-471
Commentary & Opinion Articles:
- “What Do We Know About Chinese Lending in Africa“, 2 June 2021 for Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
- “How Biden Can Build U.S.-Africa Relations Back Better“, 27 April 2021 for Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
- “Vaccine Geopolitics Could Derail Africa’s Post-Pandemic Recovery“, 24 February 2021 for Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
- “COVID-19 in Africa: How Can Social Safety Nets Help Mitigate the Social and Economic Impacts?“, 24 April 2020, for World Bank Blogs
- “Show Me the Money: How do we Finance Social Protection for the Future of Work in Africa?“, 12 December 2019, for Brookings Institution’s Africa in Focus blog.
- “What can Developing Countries Learn from Morocco’s Experience with Power Sector Reforms?“, 20 November 2019, for the World Bank’s Sustainable Energy for All blog.
- “The Future of Work in Africa: Making productive investments for more and better jobs“, 25 July 2019, for World Bank Blogs
- “To Transform Africa’s Economies, African Companies Matter Too“, 7 June 2016, for The Conversation UK
- “In Nigeria, Newly Appointed Officials Signal Shift in Economic Policy“, 1 December 2015, for The Washington Post‘s Monkey Cage Blog
- “Buhari’s First 100 Days: Does the Nigerian President Mean Business?“, 4 September 2015, for CNN International
- “Africa’s Oil Shock“, 16 January 2015, for Aljazeera English
- “Obama’s Africa Summit: Too Little Too Late?“, 12 August 2014, for Aljazeera English
- “Boko Haram and the Competing Narratives“, 3 July 2014, for Aljazeera English
- “Nigeria’s Economic Transition Reveals Deep Structural Distortions“, 1 May 2014, for African Arguments
- “Does Nigeria Really Need a Sovereign National Conference?“, 29 January 2014, for African Arguments